Thursday, December 18, 2008

The proposal

A flashback...

In 2002, I was living in an apartment in Bukit Jalil, just a bit outside of the place that Malaysia hosted the Commonwealth Games in 1998. I was in the middle of planning my wedding to my then girlfriend.

My office was within the same area as it is now. Every day I would travel the length of the KESAS highway which would bring me to my office in 15 minutes. I could choose to pay two tolls or just one toll according to my urgency or where I was heading.

That day, I chose to use the 'good' road and stopped at a layover, called the Awan Besar Rest and Relax area.

There were not that many people so early in the morninh.

I waited for the call.

The call came exactly at around 9.30am from the radio station where my business partner's now husband, then boyfriend, was working.

We talked for a minute about what I was going to do and then he connected me to the person I really wanted to talk.

It was my then girlfriend.

I asked her how she was and then I asked her, with I don't know how many other listeners listening, to marry me. I was so nervous that I actually fumbled with my words.

She, however, said yes, as we actually had planned to get married the next year, but with no concrete plan and definite date. She was ecstatic when I told her we were on radio. She loved it and it was better than just doing it at a restaurant or some other place. It came about as we did talked about how people proposed in various ways which sometimes borders on the mundane to the extraordinary. And I also wanted to make it an official proposal.

On 8.8.03, we were married.

And that was the story of how I proposed to my wife...

2 comments:

  1. Awwww... how sweet! I didn't get such a romantic proposal when I was proposed to. *LOL* Your wife is a lucky woman then... has a romantic hubby! :)

    ReplyDelete